National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
Every day, individuals and communities across the country are demanding early intervention, better care, effective treatment and improved outcomes. NAMI helps create a vision of a better tomorrow - an expectation that people affected by mental illness will live happily, productively and well.
How NAMI Makes a Difference
- NAMI provides support and education classes to individuals and families affected by mental illness, as well as to the general public.
- The NAMI HelpLine responds to more than 100,000 requests each year, providing resources and information to those in search of help and support.
- NAMI promotes nationwide awareness events and activities, including Mental Illness Awareness Week, National Mental Health Awareness Month and NAMIWalks to fight stigma and stereotypes
- They advocate on national, state and local levels to create common-sense solutions to policy issues that affect people living with mental illness.
- They promote research to help ensure that new treatments, early intervention solutions, and eventually a cure for mental illness.
- They make sure that media reporting is compassionate, understanding and accurate in its representation of mental illness.
To learn more about the National Alliance on Mental Illness, click here to go to their website and please consider a small donation of $5 or more to support Americans affected by mental illness and promote awareness.
"So many people live with mental health conditions, and it's hard to know how to help or even where to begin looking for resources. NAMI provides a beacon in this darkness. I wanted to do an illustration that spoke to the overwhelming feeling of helplessness, but offered a bit of hope that support is there."
Penelope Dullaghan is a freelance illustrator, pattern maker and creative explorer. Her playful, hand-crafted style tells stories rich with color, shape and texture, aiming to inspire curiosity and good cheer for all. She has worked with a wide variety of clients including Crate & Barrel, Oprah Magazine, Target, Spirituality & Health Magazine and Starbucks, and has been recognized by Communication Arts, CA Typography, 3×3 Magazine, Society of Illustrators LA, HOW and Print Magazines.
Each day of December, we will spread awareness on a carefully chosen organization promoting a safe environment for all Americans. Each cause is lovingly illustrated by a different artist.
Give thoughtfully this holiday season for a better America.